WhatsApp may sometimes eat up not just large, but massive amounts of data. While this can be okay when you use Wi-Fi, the situation becomes completely different when you get to use the mobile data or, even worse, you are in roaming. This guide will demonstrate how to configure WhatsApp media auto-download settings in detail and step by step, which will give you a guarantee that you won’t be broke just because of being inattentive to your data consumption. So, stick to the guidelines and configure the settings in a right way!
Start the entire process by tapping on this icon and running the app
- You can start the entire procedure by finding the icon of WhatsApp on your smartphone’s homescreen. Once you have found it, tap on the icon and launch the application.
You can prompt a menu of the application by tapping on this icon
- After you have got to see the WhatsApp page with your conversations, you have to tap on the menu button, which is placed in the right-upper corner.
You are able to configure WhatsApp media auto-download settings by accessing the page of your account’s settings
- After calling a pop-up menu of settings, you should give a click to the “Settings” menu item.
One is able to configure Whatsapp media-auto download in the section of “Data and storage usage”
- Now, you have got to see the page of your account’s settings on WhatsApp. There, you have to tap on the “Data and storage usage” section – exactly there you can configure your media auto-downloads.
Right here, you can configure when the media can be auto-downloaded – for example, when using mobile data
- Almost at the top of the next page, you will get to see the “Media auto-download” section. Start configuring your settings there. Actually, that section contains three settings: when using mobile data, when connected to Wi-Fi, and when roaming.
You can unselect even photos or add other types of files to be auto-downloaded
- Tap on the “When using mobile data” setting. By default, it allows to download automatically only photos. You can also add audios, videos, and documents or, vice versa, exclude even photos. Once you have configured, tap on the “OK” button.
Once you are done with configuring the settings, you should click on the “OK” button
- Then, access the Wi-Fi section. Though, there is, perhaps, no need to configure anything, as all the auto-downloads are allowed through Wi-Fi. Yet, you can disable them. At the end, you should tap on the “OK” text button.
Typically, media auto-downloads through Wi-Fi include all types of files, but you can reconfigure it
- After all, you can access the roaming section of auto-downloads. By default, the system doesn’t allow auto-downloads in roaming, but you can reconfigure it. At the end, you should also click on the “OK” text button.
As you can see, roaming excludes auto-downloads at all, but you can add them, though you can expect that the data usage will be increased
You can also read how to change your mobile number on WhatsApp on this page.